Tuesday, 28 October 2014


Finally finished my sunflowers. Had problems putting it down once I had started as really enjoyed making it. The first step was to make 2 pieces of silk paper, one in green and one in blue. This was done using silk fibers and a textile medium then it was left to dry. I started couching various threads onto the green paper and added some scrim.

I made petals from silk and attached these using Bondaweb before sewing on with free machining. Then the task was to add loads of French knots to the centres which took hours.

I made some leaves from organza and some pebbles which I attached and added more knots, couched threads and beads and it was finished. Laced the back and just need to add a backing now. Looks better in real life as the colours don't look great in the picture taken in artificial light.

Earlier this month I went to Holmfirth WI as a guest and will be joining next month when they are doing self defense. There were lots of ladies there and it seems a lively group. We were asked to bring something for the Christmas raffle so I decided to make one of my little boxes. Hope the lady that wins it likes it. 

Thursday, 23 October 2014

Book cover

As my aim is to try and post more I thought I would show a new book cover that actually sold on it's first outing so now I need to make another. The book was 140g cartridge paper but as the cover is removable and A5 it can easily be put on another book.

Now working on a felted poppy piece and sunflowers on a silk paper background but only the background completed at the moment so not a lot to show.

Saturday, 4 October 2014


Just posting a few little boxes I've made. The white one is similar to my Christmas challenge box made a couple of years ago with wired organza ivy leaves and the others have organza butterflies and dragonflies. The fabric of the box is layers of organza and threads on felt backed with pelmet Vilene and lined.

Now to decide what to make next.

Friday, 3 October 2014

Book covers

I enjoy making book covers as there isn't too much measuring involved as I don't do numbers. The first 2 shown are taken from a copyright free Islamic pattern book and the technique is cut through applique.

The method used was to transfer dye some white felt then trace the pattern onto Vilene. This was then pinned to the back of a cotton fabric and the felt placed on top to give a three layer sandwich. The piece was then machined at the back using the pattern on the Vilene as a guide. Once complete the felt was cut out using a soldering iron to expose the fabric below and then beaded.

Although the cover below is a sketchbook it is A5 so could be used on any book of this size. I love using the technique of strips of different fabrics, couched threads, hand embroidery and beading with added favourites of dragonflies. 

Just in the process of finishing some small boxes now and setting up a textile group so hopefully some exciting news soon.