Tuesday 20 September 2011

Dyeing Day


Did some dyeing with my group yesterday and continued at home today as it's very addictive. You never know how things are going to turn out and 2 pieces are never the same. Collected all my equipment, fabrics and threads together. I love to use silk but I'm sure most people don't appreciate that I use lots in my bags and hand dye most of it myself. Maybe I should put up a very large sign.







Some of the fabric I tray dye although it often looks like a slushy mess until rinsed off. I'm really getting into jades and blues. Although I use procion dyes technically I should use acid for silk as its a fibre which comes form an animal but its such a pain to use. Also being a veggie I should reject silk but I can't help it I love the stuff so try not to think about it too much.


If you wrap fabric in net bags you can get some lovely effects, see below.





Tray dyeing can produce a watery effect, see below. I much prefer the fabric to look like this rather than having a solid colour, hope everyone else does too.



2 comments:

  1. Youve achieved some wonderful effects there! It looks great fun! I havent tried the net bag thing before, just usually plain dyeing but i must try that next time - reminds of the old tie dying I did in my teens back in the 70s!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete