Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Surface Above and Beneath

This is the title of the Embroiderer's Guild Regional Day which this year is held in Norwich at the John Innes Centre on the 7th July. There will be trade stands and exhibitions by Michael Brennand-Wood and Linda Monk whose work on muslin paper I love so am looking forward to that.

They are running a competition and initially I wasn't going to enter but then had an idea so did a couple of experiments using shells and couching which I love. They are meant to represent the sea above and beneath, abstract of course which is my way of saying you can read into it what you like.



Had so much fun doing these that I went for a bigger which I'm going to enter and yes, it is supposed to be tatty at the edges with various threads hanging off.


In a couple of weeks I am going to be helping some of the ladies at the Hardingham Textile Group with machine embroidery and wanted to show them something suitable for all levels so thought we could make flower bowls. These will be on show at our exhibition at Hingham in September. We also have a couple of spaces for members if there is anyone near that is interested.


The petals are from cotton and silk and it is worked on spider tulle which I got from Minerva Crafts and Fabrics. I think it works better than the one below which is without the tulle.


Just in the process now of making a red one which is poppy like although think I need to dye some silk red and cut into more poppy shaped petals.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, guess what? You've just been nominated for the Liebster Award. Nip over to With U in Mind for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya - good luck with the competition. I love the big piece you did and I also love your definition of 'abstract' ! The sunflower is beautiful - please show the poppy when you've done it. xCathy

    ReplyDelete