Wednesday 4 July 2012

Poppies

I love poppies from the humble wayside ones that are so delicate and look like silk to the glorious opium ones that come in a wonderful array of colours.


So much so I even had a poppy on my nurses buckle back in the day when I was nursing. I also love Art Nouveau which may be evident from the style of the buckle.


I decided to make a poppy bowl following on from the sunflower in the previous post so followed the same technique of cutting out individual petals in red silk and cotton but felt it didn't really look like a poppy. 


So I decided to just cut 4 large silk petals and arrange them overlapping like a poppy which looked ok initially. However once the dissolvable film was washed off they were very floppy as there was less stitching on them than the individual petal one so had to put on quite a bit of Paverpol fabric stiffener which made it look like plastic. Love the shape and think it looks quite poppy like but it doesn't look like silk at all.

Oh well back to the drawing board.



1 comment:

  1. I love poppies too but I can see why their essence would be difficult to capture in textile - I thought it was all going so well til the last picture! Oh well, win some, lose some! xCathy

    ReplyDelete