Friday 8 July 2011

In Flower

Ok, I'm getting addicted to making flowers, I admit it but isn't that the first step to recovery?

I went and ordered some more wool tops from World of Wool which are a real bargain. These are the colours I got but think I prefer the pastel ones so will have to get some more. May also get colours blended together which gives a lovely effect.



Despite the smell of wet felt being a little like a wet dog it is a great way to make the flowers. There are some lovely ones on Etsy but I'm not up to their standard yet. Hopefully I will be able to sell some at the Wayland Show in Watton on the 7th August when I have a stall with a friend who is a fellow textile person.

I make most of the flowers in 3 parts before curling them into a flower. Then add a bead, felt ball or stamens in the centre. Some of them have silk added which gives a lovely sheen. You can add throwsters waste and as Stef Francis have a 10% sale until the 15th July I'm going to order some.
These are parts drying off.


Some of the latest ones I've made are below.



Think I like the lilac one best but isn't it funny when you make something you think is great it seems rubbish when you make others.


Starting yet another course on Wednesday with the Embroiderer's Guild in Norwich. Its a level 1 City and Guilds in Machine Embroidery run by Sheila Ford. I did the first year of a Creative Textiles course a couple of years back but left after the first year as I thought the teacher was rubbish and I wasn't the only one apparently. I'm sure this one will be better and it is only 1 day a month for 7 months. Have done machine embroidery but there is always something to learn.




4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the show Bev. Just cos you prefer one flower/colour to another, doesn't mean that others will feel the same! Tastes vary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree Cathy, that's why its great to get feedback from others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they are beautiful, I've only made one wet felted flower so far, mine are mainly all needle felted, which is a painful but fun way fo making them! My wet felting is mostly confined to handbags and hats

    Your flowers are etherally preatty though, so delicate, I love them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to make some with needle felting but find that you can get a finer effect with wet. I'm very new to wet felting as I always thought it was more complicated than it really is so put off trying.

    ReplyDelete