Thursday 23 June 2011

A Bag for Me

I decided to make myself a bag having made several to sell. Deciding on a colour posed a problem as my bags tend to be colourful while I'm inclined to always wear black, but hey black goes with anything.

I had a dyeing day to make some silk, cotton, scrim and threads in purple and jade and used these together with some bought threads. I space dyed a large piece of cotton to make the lining and strap as well as smaller pieces in dupion, habotai, noil and silk velvet as I like a contrast in texture both tactile and visual. The visual texture is achieved by space and shibori dyeing to give a marbled, mottled effect.

The bag took me ages to do as I couch the threads by hand as I think that the sewing machine flattens them and added French knots and beads before lining and sewing together.

Quite pleased with the result so I'll take it to any textile shows I attend and maybe I'll get some orders.




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I'm sure you'll get lots of lovely comments when you take this out and about :)
    Sue Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly Scrumptious and purples too!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just lovely - you do use such gorgeous colours; very summery looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the hard work and effort was definitely worth it. The bag is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete